My Journey to Nemo's Kingdom

2008 is International Year of Reefs. I did not know it until I read from the PDI newspaper, dated Sept. 15, 2008. I can’t help it but reminisce my underwater experience – my journey to the coral reefs.

40 feet below


When my sister invited me to join diving, I was with these mix emotions: TERRIFIED - what if there is a large hungry human eater creature with sharp fangs waiting for me … will it attack my skinny body?; ANXIOUS – what if my oxygen tank or other paraphernalia is defective, or what if underwater I will run out of oxygen?; AFRAID – what if my guide has brain disorder and will left me under the sea (I don’t know how to swim! Gosh)….. will this be the end of my life? … But I was not defeated by those tainted negative feelings. Perhaps I am 99% EXCITED!!! I was thrilled by the thought of meeting the sea creatures.

Despite of my inability to swim, I still volunteered to dive first with the first batch of our group (see how excited I am!?). While preparing my gears and other paraphernalia my heart thumps so loudly, I am already experiencing difficulty breathing (God, will this be my last minutes to see the beauty of earth? .. hehe.. what an imagination). I was really uncomfortable with my super tight suit, and to tell you it’s really heavy plus the oxygen tank at my back, I think I am carrying 50% of my weight or more. I can’t stand alone. In fact, there were two of them who help me stand…. And wooossshh!!!! Splash the cold water! I made it! I had jumped from the ‘banka’.


With my Diving Master, Toto

While in the water, my diving master,Toto teach me the breathing technique using the mouthpiece. He let me swim 2 feet below the sea level. I thought it was easy, but I was totally wrong... I can’t breathe, I panicked!!! And came to the point, I almost surrendered. But I thought why I should waste this opportunity… if others can then I can also do it. So I signaled Toto with my OK sign.

As we start our journey down to the paradise of the sea, I felt calmness inside. I don’t know how, but my angst subsided. Indeed, I felt the inner peace that I am longing.

My eyes widened with excitement as I saw the differently colored coral reefs - soft and so delicate. I saw school of fish that comes in different shapes and colors, and yes the familiar white-orange striped fish was there… Nemo?....Yes, it’s him… he was really playful. He’s not afraid with me, in fact he played with me, I was able to hold him with my bare hand. He even accompanied me in my journey to their Kingdom.

I can’t help, but offer a little prayer, thanking God for such beautiful scenery. It’s a magnificent view! Truly He is the greatest artist, and nobody can surpass Him.

Although one hour of staying underwater is not enough, I have to say goodbye to my sea creature-friends before running out of oxygen. Hoping that someday I’ll come back and meet them as beautiful as they are.

A simple gesture of saying thank you and goodbye

Comments

  1. Wonderful experience! My blog tamborejam.blogspot.com is about reefs in some way. This is where the Latvian Hyperbolic Crochet Coral reef starts: as part of international project originating from The IFF, LA, USA. Besides all the other things it is an amazing possibility to play with 3D crochet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts